|SMART accession number:||SM00945|
|Description:||This family includes ProQ, which is required for full activation of the osmoprotectant transporter, ProQ, in Escherichia coli.|
|Interpro abstract (IPR016103):|
This entry represents a structural domain consisting of six helices in an irregular non-globular array; it also contains two small beta-hairpins. This domain is found in the RNA-binding fertility inhibitor FinO that represses the conjugative transfer of F-like plasmids in Escherichia coli. FinO blocks the translation of TraJ, a positive activator of transcription of gene thereby protecting it from degradation, and catalyses FinP-TraJ mRNA hybridization. Interactions between these two RNAs are predicted to block the TraJ ribosomal binding site. FinO is largely helical, binds to its highest affinity binding site within FinP as a monomer, and contains two distinct RNA binding regions [(PUBMED:10876242)].
Click on the following links for more information.
- Evolution (species in which this domain is found)
- Cellular role (predicted cellular role)
- Literature (relevant references for this domain)
- Structure (3D structures containing this domain)
- Links (links to other resources describing this domain)